By Joel Levitt
Let’s face the facts: Cool sensors, intelligent software and big data with analytics are way sexier than tightening bolts, greasing, and cleaning your machines. Fundamentals win the day. What if we could see the microscopic forces at play in machine damage and destruction? What if we could visit the machine, inside, to see how it is working and most importantly what causes it to stop working? Bosses are people too! When they meet with other bosses, they want cool stuff like Industry 4.0 to tout. No one wants to hear about what really goes on in the trenches. There is something you can do now that will move the reliability needle.Apply basic practices, go back to the fundamentals. We call it TLC- Tighten, Lubricate, Clean.
- Discuss how to justify action.
- See damaging forces.
- Understand the physics of common failure modes.
- Relearn a technique you already know for dealing with the enemies of machine health.
- Get 6 ideas from the trenches to start becoming more reliable.
- Learn the steps to sustain any improvement program.