Presented by Dr. Jean-Paul Clech
Given the proliferation of lead-free solder alloys, and the dearth of lead-free reliability data and modeling tools, taking care of the basics is of utmost importance to designers and product engineers having to build in long-term solder joint reliability. This 3-hour webinar, which costs $300, reviews basic board, component and board assembly parameters that effect solder joint reliability regardless of solder composition, tin-lead or lead-free. Rules-of-thumb and design-for-reliability guidelines are presented that are of help to improve solder joint life under both thermal and mechanical loading conditions. Accelerated testing procedures and acceleration factors are also discussed briefly. This introductory webinar will be of interest to beginners as well as experienced technical staff needing a refresher on designing for solder joint reliability in electronic assemblies.
This webinar is introductory in nature with emphasis on board and component effect and generic guidelines that can be used to minimize the risk of solder joint failures in circuit board assemblies. While the webinar ends with an overview of lead-free solder joint reliability trends, solder alloy specifics are not covered. Numerous rules-of-thumb (do’s and don’ts) are presented based on established industry practices and field failures encountered by the instructor. Main topics include:
· Why bother?
* Customer-driven requirements
* Solder joint reliability trends
* Field failure examples
· Metallurgical issues: contamination; intermetallic; voids; impact of reflow profile.
· Thermal expansion problems:
* CTE mismatches: global vs. local CTE mismatches; CTE measurements
* Solder joint damage drivers: shear strains, stress/strain cycles
* Component parameter effects: size effects; effective component CTE.
* Board parameter effects: board material, thickness, in-plane CTEs.
* Assembly parameters effects: joint height, pad design and pad size effects
· Mechanical loading problems:
* Solder creep under constant load
* Vibration loading: board support, stiffener effects; impact of component location.
· Accelerated testing procedures and life data analysis:
* Test profiles
* Effect of thermal cycling dwell times
* Sample size, failure statistics
* Acceleration factors
· Lead-free reliability overview:
* Lead-free vs. SnPb reliability
* Alloy composition effects
* Alloy proliferation issue and other challenges
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Design, materials, manufacturing, quality or reliability professionals and managers, attorneys and others who are responsible for, or have to deal with solder joint reliability issues and the consequences of solder joint failures in the field.
PRE-REQUISITES: None other than basics physics and the business-drive to ensure that customer reliability requirements are met.
Cost: $300 per person – +5 attendees at $270 each